Business idea submission is closed!
Estonian Refugee Council in collaboration with Unity for the Future Charitable Fund and Garage48 invite women in Ukraine to build their future and realise their dreams of becoming entrepreneurs.
100 new business ideas and 60 already existing businesses will be selected to the programme to get support on getting started and developing a sustainable and crisis-resilient micro company. At least 31 individuals or business teams selected by the jury will benefit from support worth 20 000-150 000 UAH together with mentoring for six months.
Since 2019, Estonian Refugee Council, Unity for the Future Charitable Fund in Zaporizhzhia and Garage48 have worked in collaboration, to support women in eastern Ukraine regaining their livelihoods through entrepreneurship.
Over the course of 2 years, the Empowering Women program has shown the strength and determination of Ukrainian women in defying difficult odds, by launching micro- and family businesses that support their own livelihood as well as others, provide jobs, critical services and have built a community of like-minded and entrepreneurial women in eastern Ukraine.
The Russian full-scale invasion and ongoing war in Ukraine has destroyed countless number of lives as Ukrainians fight for their country and freedom. 7.7 million people are internally displaced inside Ukraine as they have sought a safe place for their families. This program is designed to support Ukrainian women as they recover and rebuild their lives.
The Empowering Women Entrepreneurship Programme is happening for women who have lost the means to provide income for their family due to the ongoing war in Ukraine. In the current program, women from Zaporizhzhia, Dnipropetrovsk, Poltava, Chernihiv, Sumy, Kyiv (excluding Kyiv city), Kirovohrad and Cherkasy oblasts can apply to enter the entrepreneurship program. Online open workshops, however, are open to everyone interested to join and improve their knowledge of entrepreneurship.
Both individuals and teams of women with new micro- and family business ideas or already existing businesses are eligible for participation. Two separate programmes will take place: one for new businesses and one for existing businesses.
The program is taking place from July 2022 until April 2023. Through a series of open workshops, two interactive entrepreneurship programmes, submission of business plans and a mentoring programme lasting 6 months, we want to support new and existing businesses in becoming sustainable and crisis-resilient.
OPEN WORKSHOPS (July-August 2022)
Online and completely free workshops on entrepreneurship and business creation are meant for women of all ages to get new knowledge and see if entrepreneurship could be something for you. In spite of where you are located right now - in Ukraine or abroad.
- INSPIRATION SESSION, IDEATION & DESIGN THINKING | July 2nd ︱14.00-18.00 (GMT+2) | How to understand a problem and build a business as a solution around it. How to find your business idea?
- HOW TO DESIGN A CRISIS-RESILIENT BUSINESS & FOUNDER MENTAL HEALTH | July 9th ︱14.00-18.00 (GMT+2) | How to develop a business from the very beginning that is mobile and adjustable to crisis? How to take care of your and your team’s mental health as a starting out entrepreneur and in a time of crisis?
- BUILDING A TEAM & BUSINESS MODEL CANVAS | July 16th ︱14.00-17.00 (GMT+2) | Why and how to put together a team for your business. Team management and team dynamics. Developing your business model, understanding who your customers are.
- FINANCIAL & LEGAL ASPECTS OF STARTING A BUSINESS | July 23rd︱14.00-17.00 (GMT+2) | Key legal and financial aspects for starting out a business.
- BRANDING & MARKETING | July 30th ︱14.00-17.00 (GMT+2) | How to build your brand. Marketing strategy & marketing tools.
- BUSINESS IDEA APPLICATION PREPARATION & PRESENTATION SKILLS | August 6th︱14.00-17.00 (GMT+2)
Participating in the online open workshops is open for everyone interested, register here: https://entrepreneur.pagulasabi.ee/ukraine/registration-2022
ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROGRAMME FOR NEW BUSINESSES (12-26 September 2022)
This programme is welcoming individuals and teams with business ideas in eastern Ukraine, led by women in vulnerable conditions, with the aim to create a new micro- or family business.
During the program, you will have the opportunity to improve and get new entrepreneurial skills, experience what it means to develop your own business and create the first design for your service or product. Our experienced mentors will be digitally there by your side to make it real!
There are no limits to the fields of your business ideas - be it agriculture, textiles & handicraft industry, beauty and wellness services, food & catering, technology etc.
The entrepreneurship program consists of the following steps:
- MENTORING in virtual checkpoints with dedicated team mentors & one-on-one calls with international experts
- WORKSHOPS on
- product & service design;
- business planning & business development;
- accounting, financial planning;
- costs & product prices calculation;
- marketing, social media marketing, design basics;
- presentation skills;
- team management
- FINALS with JURY and selection of teams who receive support (grants) and mentoring.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROGRAMME FOR EXISTING BUSINESSES (3-16 October 2022)
This programme is welcoming already started and working micro- and family businesses in eastern Ukraine, led by women in vulnerable conditions, with the aim to expand and develop a sustainable business.
The programme will consist of mentoring, workshops, teamwork and final presentations, followed by entrepreneurship grants and mentoring programme for the top participants and teams.
ENTREPRENEURSHIP GRANTS & MENTORING (November 2022 – April 2023)
The most successful participants and teams of the entrepreneurship programmes for both new and existing businesses will receive support (grants) from the programme. The grants are given out in the form of equipment and tools necessary to start or develop their business.
- 15 individuals with new businesses will receive 20-30 000 UAH startup support per business.
- 10 team-based new businesses will receive 65-85 000 UAH startup support per business.
- 6 already existing businesses will receive 85-150 000 UAH business development support per business.
The entrepreneurship grants go hand in hand with a mentoring programme lasting 6 months with individual mentoring and workshops supporting further business development.
The Empowering Women Entrepreneurship Programme is funded by the Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs from development cooperation funds.